The Martian:
- They’re just leaving him there? I would have stayed and rescued him!
- Wait... he’s using poop to grow food?! (Pause for talk about how food is grown on Earth.. minds blown)
- If I had to eat potatoes, I’d starve. I hate potatoes
- He’s been alone how many days? A sol is a day?! You know what? I would have walked outside and taken my helmet off by now.
- Duct tape is awesome
- So the sleeping guy with the really messy room was the smartest all along!
- I wanna be a space pirate!
Interstellar: - I’d cough a lot I bet, that dirt blowing around looks like it would break my air pipe - I hate corn as much as potatoes - I don’t get what those dirt lines mean, how are they figuring out science from them? - He left his kids to fly into space? Why didn’t he just take them? - Water planet: Holy sh*t, I want a robot like TARS, he’s a transformer! He’s speeding through the water like a windmill - They left the other guy behind, why do they always do that?! - Wait... is his daughter the space commander from the other movie? Why is she in this movie, is this the sequel? - Ice planet: THAT’S CAPTAIN BLONDE BEARD! This has to be the sequel. (Pause for talks about how actors in Hollywood play many different characters, but did not convince them totally) - Why is Blonde Beard trying to kill the farmer astronaut? He’s evil now. They should have left him on Mars - I bet the farmer astronaut wishes he had duct tape for his helmet - The farmer astronaut’s son is evil too, why won’t he let his family go to the place where they can breathe? He’s been eating too much corn for too long. - TARS is my favorite character - Wait, how did the farmer astronaut get behind a bookcase from the past? (Lots of confusion about how old people are, and explaining about time travel, how time works, Morse code, etc. I assume we are good and continue on). - WAIT! That old woman is his daughter? Why is he not an old man too? - Everyone in this movie is so sad all the time. - Final thoughts: Well at least they aren’t all stuck on Earth with only corn and dirt to eat
Arrival - (Argument between my 2 oldest sons) “Wait. That’s the same woman with red hair, I’m not doing this again. It’s a trilogy!” “No she’s not, she’s the one from Jurassic World, it’s a different lady!”
I explained the woman from The Martian & Interstellar is Jessica Chastain, Arrival stars Amy Adams, and Jurassic World has Bryce Dallas Howard. But they were done with our sci-fi movie adventure due to exasperation of leading females with red hair and insistence on the movies being interlinked somehow, so we didn’t finish Arrival yet. Good memories, and I’m glad I sat back and took notes because it’s actually really fun to see them watch these movies for the first time.
We are going to revisit Arrival and watch Gravity too... any other suggestions are welcomed.