Zodiac is one of the best movies that I have ever seen. [Review] [Spoilers]

I got two Blu-Ray cases from amazon yesterday morning: Munich, and Zodiac. Anyways, I was eating lunch and my regular cafe when I ran into two English teachers from my old high school. We talked for a while, and when the subject went onto movies (We were talking about The Devil in the White City adaption Scorsese is making) I asked them should I either watch Munich? Or Zodiac?

Both of them within a heartbeat said Zodiac.

Curious as to way they were so jumpy at Zodiac, of course I put it in the Blu-ray player as soon as I got home.

And I believe that it is one of the best movies ever. Period.

If you know all about the Zodiac mystery like I did, then there's not much to be spoiled, but what really amazed me was how realistic they made it, every single detail was covered, and covered flawlessly at that. They also got the sets, clothes etc. right, which I think is excruciatingly difficult to do when it's set in San Fransisco, a place which I think has been plagued by technology.

(Sorry SF, just saying what I think about you guys, don't take it harshly)

RDJ owned every scene he was in. How he didn't pick up a nomination I'll never know. (Although it's still inferior next to Javier Bardem's performance, don't get me wrong) Jake Gyllenhall was also a good lead, but I find it hard to believe that he's a father of three when he looks so young! The other major star: Mark Ruffalo, but he's much better in Spotlight. Still though, convincing enough to make you believe that he's a cop in the 60's to 80's.

The story may feel long for some people, but long's sometimes good. It works for Schindler's list, and Dances with Wolves, and I believe that it works for this too. There's just no way this could be shorter without it making much sense, it's not an action or a slasher flick (Although the first half hour may suggest otherwise) It's a suspense mystery.

The story does this thing which I call the double slide method. Basically two stories in one (Think Life is Beautiful, Full Metal Jacket, The Graduate etc.) and it works well in this. Mark and RDJ both are the leads for the first three quarters, taken over by Jake for the last bit. It's a nice touch, and it doesn't feel unnecessary like in some other movies.

It's a shame this didn't get picked up during awards season. Say what you will, but this could've replaced either Michael Clayton, or Juno for the Best Picture Oscar, and it makes me kick myself thinking that it didn't even get an art set nomination, which it also pulls off well.

Not to mention, it's the most unsettling flick I've seen since I saw Changeling in the cinema when I was eighteen. I felt so goddamn tense, during a scene with RDJ and a tipster, and Jake Gyllenhall and a basement. Trust me, you'll know those scenes when you see them. It's had me so far as of this morning, looking over my shoulder constantly to make sure no one is following me. It's great for making you really feel the atmosphere it brings.

To conclude, if my review doesn't convince you of anything, then at least watch the movie and come back to this. I can't recommend it enough, it's perfect to me, and hopefully it will be perfect to you too as long as you get over it's run time and lack of action.

If you can watch it, do it as soon as you can. You won't regret it.

TL;DR Zodiac is an unsettling movie which is supported by a great cast, story, and everything else. Watch this movie as soon as you can, you won't regret it.

To Download Latest Movies - CLICK HERE